Sunday, October 2, 2011

The problem with regrets

Is that they might just hold us back from what we want to do now.

I used to make a list of all the things that I wish I had done better in the past.  I realize, these just made me feel guilty, painfully nostalgic, and uninspired.  It felt more like a debt that I owed myself than a promise to continually grow.

We shouldn't forget our mistakes.  But we should think about how to frame them as an opportunity for being the person we want to be in the future.  I no longer want to write down my regrets.

Don't make a list of regrets, make a list of things you want to do in the future.

"For year 2, I want to think about how to invest my students into specific ways to improve themselves."
"I want to read books I want to read, so I can learn what I want to learn."
"I want to reach out to my friends as much as I can, so I can stay connected to them for the long term."

Who cares what I messed up in the past, as long as I am doing what I need to from here on out?

No comments:

Post a Comment