Monday, October 10, 2011

Why I want to be bored.

Inspirational credit to Seth Godin, again.  As I work on my writing, I also want to work on my individuality, but for now I will allow expressive practice to take precedence over individuality.

(Stand on the shoulders of giants, and you will see farther, one might say.)

When do we think of new thoughts?  When we are on our iPhone, texting busily away to twenty different people?  When we are at work, checking off to-do's and completing projects?

When we are bored.

When our minds wander in the space of our thoughts like runaway balloons.

When we are not yet awake- after our dream is over, before the next day arrives to occupy our thoughts.

This is when I create anew.  If experience is the material of creativity, I believe boredom or  frustration of the mind is the playground.

Every day, we find new ways to occupy ourselves in every minute, because efficiency is productivity.

But that does not equate to creativity.  While you answer e-mails, I will leave my inbox a little more full, and my mind a little lighter.

I think a flying balloon travels farther than a good runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment